THE OFFICIAL ANC NEWSPAPER

ANC Ngaka Modiri condemns Save North West leaders

The African National Congress (ANC) in Ngaka Modiri Molema region has spoken strongly against the actions of some disgruntled ANC members who embarked on a ‘failed’ campaign called Save North West last weekend.

The group that is led by Thabo oo Mogogodi alleged that there are corruption activities 
taking place in the province implicating Bokone Bophirima Premier – who is also ANC Provincial Chairperson, Cde Supra Mahumapelo.

However, ANC Regional Secretary in Ngaka Modiri Molema, Boy Noko, said the actions of the so-called Revolutionary Council are distasteful and absurd.

“We want to put it on record that as the ANC in Ngaka Modiri Molema, we distance ourselves from that group that embarked on a campaign called Save North West from corruption. The group launched a campaign to overthrow our provincial chairperson, Cde Supra Mahumapelo. 

“The people behind this campaign are well-known to be power hungry and pushing a grudge against Mahumapelo for years now. When they failed to use the North West Business Forum (NWBF) as a tool, they moved on to create another vehicle, despite failing all this time to back their claims with evidence,” Noko said.

The ANC in Ngaka Modiri Molema called on its members in the region and across the province not to be
misinformed and used by what he called “this group of people who are clearly determined to cause unnecessary havoc”. 

Noko said they also caution their members and members of the public not to be confused by the group's use of ANC colours and the name Ngaka Modiri Molema.

“The ANC in the region has not authorised any of this. It is indeed their aim to cause as much confusion as possible and attract people using these dirty tricks. Our region has got full confidence in Mahumapelo as both the Provincial Chairperson and Premier of Bokone Bophirima Provincial Government.

“The ANC in Ngaka Modiri Molema is clear on its focus and it's that of unity and strengthening the organisation, regardless of who supported which candidate at the ANC's 54th National Conference in December last year. We are guided by the ANC’s declaration of the year 2018 as the Year of Nelson Mandela, which is the year of unity, renewal and jobs,” he said.

The ANC provincial leadership condemned the violence that took place at Barolong boo-Ratshidi Community Hall in Mahikeng, where Save North West campaign leaders had convened a meeting. Violent clashes on the day left the hall and its contents damaged.

“We also learnt of some damage to personal property and that one person suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. We wish the wounded person a speedy recovery. We condemn the violence and call on law enforcement agencies to investigate the matter and ensure that the law takes its course,” said Deputy Provincial Secretary, Cde Sussana Dantjie.

“We call on comrades to deal with each other with respect and acknowledge that the ANC allows freedom of expression, therefore there would always be some difference of opinion, no matter who’s in the leadership. We again call on ANC members to utilise internal mechanisms to address any challenges they have that are related to the movement. We discourage any gatherings that may see comrades provoking each other and resulting in what happened on Saturday,” she said.

But Save North West campaign leader, Mogogodi said: “The Save North West Campaign is a Mahikeng-based organisation, and is organised under the auspices of the Revolutionary Council. It is an organisation which is aimed at cleaning the North West province from the cloud of corruption and maladministration. We will be launching a program to expose corruption and deviation from the mandate of clean governance in this province. This will be done by reporting a series of corrupt activities at the local police station and provide evidence backing the cases with concrete evidence to the police. The process of reporting these corrupt cases will be done every month,” he said. 

Provincial police spokesperson, Brigadier Sabata Mokgwabone, confirmed that cases of attempted murder, two of malicious damage to property and burglary were opened following the Saturday clashes.
“A 31 year-old man was allegedly shot and he was ferried to a local hospital for medical attention. We can also confirm that investigations are underway after people forced entry into a hall where there was a meeting. A vehicle was also damaged and no one has been arrested,” Mokgwabone said.